Elbert County Comprehensive High School (ECCHS) held its 4th annual Reality Store event on February 5, 2016, in the multi-purpose room of the Band/ROTC building. Approximately 20 individuals from the community, 26 ECCHS seniors, and 7 ECCHS faculty members volunteered to work the event. Over 200 freshmen students participated. The event was coordinated by Mrs. Denise Brown.
The Reality Store is designed to encourage students to think about the future and to visualize how their educational and career choices will impact their economic well-being. At the Reality Store, students were able to:
- Envision the lifestyle they’d like to have when they are in their mid-20’s;
- Receive a checking account deposit equal to one month’s salary from their desired jobs;
- Spend their salary in the Reality Store, first on necessities and then on luxuries;
- Handle some of life’s unexpected events;
- Learn whether their selected occupation will provide the financial resources needed to provide the lifestyle they want;
- Receive financial counseling.
Students and volunteers had very positive comments about the experience including:
“This showed me how to spend money wisely and compromise on things that are not necessary.”
“I need to really look at what I study in school and choose my career carefully.”
“Many of the students seemed to know little about budgeting. This is a much needed exercise!”
“Being in the financial industry, I can say first-hand how important it is for kids to learn what it costs to live before they make college choices.”
"This truly exposed the students to reality."
Special thanks to all of our volunteers and the many businesses who allowed their employees to participate.
Pictures from this event can be found in the Photo Gallery located here: http://www.elbert.k12.ga.us/1/Gallery/92