Your attitude toward school attendance, education and involvement in the school makes a strong and lasting impression on your child. Show your child, by example, that learning is a priority.
Show interest in school work
- Talk about school each day.
- Ask to see classwork.
- Have your child read aloud to you.
- Read to and with your child from a variety of material in your first language.
- Encourage your child to discuss new ideas and opinions.
- Show appreciation for good efforts.
Offer suggestions for success
Help your child use the following strategies to improve performance in school:
- Read the assignment when it is given.
- Keep a list of new vocabulary.
- Proofread assignments to catch errors before writing a final draft.
- Review notes before a test.
Schedule study time
Set up an area for homework away from noise and distractions. Post a family calendar that schedules school project deadlines, after-school activities, mid-term dates, exam periods and report card dates.